PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby T21b WB935
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2022, 11:15
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
For the OP, do you know Al S at all?...very useful and knowledgeable source.

Got the little green book c/o Burtonwood . The Cadet Mk 3 demonstrated its capacity to return to earth, rapidly, with no help from me on the second solo, hence my arrival on the ramp, rather than launch area, surrounded by 45 gall drums... and other sundry items.

" The Civil, Naval and Military Authorities, including the Police, are respectfully requested to aid and assist the holder of this certificate'....in 6 languages!"

Ah yes, the police ! First encounter, about 07.30 ish on a Sunday morning near Bury St Edmunds having just left Wattisham ...had to collect a trailer for a B4 and thence to Bicester...the stop would have made "The Sweeney " envious. However, all I can say, is, not everybody suits wearing a uniform...the reason he stopped me was the trailer number plate didn't match my car...this was hardly unknown in those days, so I smiled...politely.

Next encounter...Lancs finest on the side of the M6 !...reason ? towing a K18 on an open trailer and, apparently, they'd never seen one out of a box before in bits..felt like saying, try a gliding club, not the hard shoulder.

Next encounter...Dumfries and Galloway at Moffatt when I missed a turn on the old A74 and took what I thought would be the next suitable exit...alas, it was a single track road leading to a reservoir...a farmer called the police , quite reasonably, as to why a glider trailer was on this track. They were highly amused

Next, the Dutch police whom came to my asssitance due to a "breakdown in international relations " at the then Aachen border crossing involving myself, the US Army Military police and one particular German border guard, even his mate was shaking his head in disbelief at his actions, although it's possible I may have contributed by suggesting to the Yank if he continued to push me in the chest, he could be viewing the world from a horizonal rather than vertical perspective...and one or two other "observations "....however, this trip did complete my Silver C

Silver height out of Colerne...got the book back with a very terse letter from Anne Welch, bless her, informing me in no uncertain terms, "we are flying gliders, NOT BAC 1-11's !! "...as I had the Baro calibrated at Filton

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 18th May 2022 at 11:30.