PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the Kobe Bryant Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2022, 16:05
SASless

Received 506 Likes on 210 Posts
Also the NTSB gave scant attention to exactly what was the Company SOP's re use of the installed Autopilot, did not delve into the details of what was taught about using the Autopilot during Training, and there was zero mention of what the Accident Pilot did during his flights in the S-76 re use of the Autopilot.

By investigate fully....I mean going deeper than just a cursory examination of the practices.

Being a VFR Only Operation.....I can see some Cheese Holes appearing that would not happen had it been an IFR Operation.

As the S-76 was being used more like an upscale JetRanger I can imagine all that Gucci Kit was not being used to its maximum benefit.

212Man echoes my earlier posts when I espoused always flying with the Force Trim ON....and using ATT Mode at all times.

The weather conditions and height above ground the aircraft was flying in.....and the FAR's, and Part 135 OpSpecs for the Operator may have influenced the use or non-use of the Autopilot in a Hands Off Level.

General limitations are usually no use of an Autopilot below 500 Feet AGL unless on an approved Instrument Approach where both lateral and vertical guidance is being received.