PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 16th May 2022, 09:30
dekammeron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, I want to say that I'm in a business relation with a flight school from Slovenia, and I want to share my thoughts about your post:
It is true what some of the commentators are saying about the nature of the job... It can get a bit boring, but it all depends on what kind of flying you're doing (regional, long-haul, passenger, cargo, charter, etc) and where... in which company. There are companies where you fly for food, but there are also companies that keep the pay check level on a very lucrative level.
I have 38 years, I have two university degrees, I'm an independent aviation manager, but unfortunately was never able to start the training dues to my colour-blindness.
If someone would told me right now that I'm able to start the training, would I do so? In a heart beat!
But, I would be selective about my future job... I would definitely look more into business aviation, maybe cargo or aerial work...

Investment into pilot training is very different from country to country, from flight school to flight school. And so does the quality! Even though the training program is more or less the same in any flight school, the flight schools are not the same, the quality of the trainig is not the same, and at the end the pilot graduates are not the same.
There are instructors in the flight school that I'm working with, that are retired airline captains, and are saying that they will never step onto a airplane as a passenger, because they have witnessed how poorly trained pilots are coming in the cockpit as First Officers nowadays. So choose wisely! There is only one shot of becoming a good pilot... and most importantly, I found out that the students who are focused, attentive and hard working, get better jobs... and faster.

Anyway, if you haven’t yet decided about the flight school, I invite you to take a look, maybe even visit Aviation Career Center. They have a nice fleet of airplanes, knowledgeable instructors and a reasonable price.

Good luck