PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 15th May 2022, 18:37
Xeptu

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Ha ha ! Thank you, but don't worry - I am very diligent, but am older than you presumably think I am and have had two full and different careers. The first one was not aviation related, the second involved full-time employment in four UK airlines.

In recent years my colleagues and I were made redundant from the last two of these - both respected UK short and long-haul fleeted airlines - owing to them both going out of business one after the other. I was on front line flying since soon after my Pprune join date, so have experienced flying generally going down hill, in terms of worsening pay, worsening T's & C's, longer duties and greater fatigue etc. In the first of the two defunct airlines, I was in absolutely no doubt about being valued or remembered by anyone ! My 'bubble' has been burst many times already !!

I just find it very important to be positive and enjoy whatever you do for work and if not; to move on.

(For what it's worth, I am currently freelancing back in my first career, to keep the wolf from the door, and this year am in strong demand I am very pleased to say ).
Yep that's about my experience and memory of it too. I'm concerned for the ones that came into the Industry over the last 20 years (precovid post /911) during the boom time and were lucky enough to get the dream run. They think that's the norm and how it is, it is their experience that has so much influence on the wannabee pilot and those like the OP. As for getting out as someone else mentioned, that's a big deal after being in it for a time, years taken verses income, it's a case of not viable to do anything else.