PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 15th May 2022, 13:34
Uplinker

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
I hate to burst your bubble, but you sound like the classic diligent job first career pilot that truly believes your a valued employee. I truly hope you don't get to discover the truth that your just a number and no-one will notice if you don't turn up tomorrow before you retire. After about two years they won't even remember your name.
Ha ha ! Thank you, but don't worry - I am very diligent, but am older than you presumably think I am and have had two full and different careers. The first one was not aviation related, the second involved full-time employment in four UK airlines.

In recent years my colleagues and I were made redundant from the last two of these - both respected UK short and long-haul fleeted airlines - owing to them both going out of business one after the other. I was on front line flying since soon after my Pprune join date, so have experienced flying generally going down hill, in terms of worsening pay, worsening T's & C's, longer duties and greater fatigue etc. In the first of the two defunct airlines, I was in absolutely no doubt about being valued or remembered by anyone ! My 'bubble' has been burst many times already !!

I just find it very important to be positive and enjoy whatever you do for work and if not; to move on.

(For what it's worth, I am currently freelancing back in my first career, to keep the wolf from the door, and this year am in strong demand I am very pleased to say ).

Last edited by Uplinker; 15th May 2022 at 13:49.