PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby T21b WB935
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2022, 10:08
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Halesland

The 'Halesland' bit was for A&B's doing what was then called an 'advanced' ** course. This included use of spoilers/airbrakes, spot landings, trying to stay on the ridge long enough for the C, and no question of 'landing out' down at the bottom of the hill. The evening part of the course included under age drinking in Weston !!!.
On my first visit at the hilltop site (we self catered during the day) we had a barge, prefect, and swallow in the shed, and looking back on the situation it was probably what we now would call a 'marginal' operation for low launch Cadets, some of whom had only done an A&B possibly over a year earlier, and certainly at a normal airfield. However as usual we were not aware it was marginal so it worked ok most of the time. Later 'schools' would move down for a weeks 'away' operation which was probably a valuable training exercise after their normal base. **The 'C' bit was an extra to the advanced as I recall the ATC issued an 'advanced cert' as part of the normal system. The swallow was for instructor use and those trying to get their bronze or 5 hour flights. Another example of the Air Cadet organisation at the time providing a facility that was available to anyone with a modicum of ability at a very interesting location. I never saw the barge operated solo during my visits. The Weston night club bit was not part of the certificate !!!.