PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 14th May 2022, 16:36
Bergerie1

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts
I was exceedingly lucky, being on the first intake to the College of Air Training, Hamble in 1960. Not only was the training excellent, being done by first class instructors mostly with wartime experience, but also with an extensive ground school course well beyond ATLP and FNL requirements, and largely paid for by BOAC and BEA. Looking back, it must have been one of the best civil flying training establishments - ever. I doubt whether you could get training of the same standard today except in the military.

Looking at the industry today, I agree with most of what the previous posters have said about the cost and difficulty of landing a good job in a reasonable timeframe. Life today is very precarious in an industry run by accountants and 'head office' managers with little interest in the finer points of aviation rather than by real aviators. I have to say, although I enjoyed my airline career enormously and as much as I relished the joy of flying, sadly, I doubt I would follow a similar career today.

Nevertheless I wish the young lad the very best of luck.