PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is damping mode in A320?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2022, 12:57
mahendru1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Re the MCDU;

Don't worry too much - the basics of flying, instrument scan, and understanding and controlling the aircraft need to be acquired first.

But as I said earlier, if you have spare capacity it would be helpful if you know how to input a basic set-up e.g.:

City pair.
SID.
STAR.
Runways and approach type.
Cruise Alt.
Take off mass and V speeds.
Tower wind and outside air temperature.
How select and programme a holding pattern.

All these data will be given to you initially; you just need to know how and where to put them in via the MCDU - it is not difficult, but it helps to know.

If you can do these basic inputs, it will save time in the SIM setting up. It will also let the TRE see that you are reasonably competent and don't need baby sitting over every detail, which will make his/her life easier. But again, learning to control and fly the aircraft is the priority.
Perfect. I know most of these since I just follow the DIFSRIP workflow to get the job done. I don't know how to select and programme a holding pattern, which I will rectify tonight.
Basically, I had a lot of free time because of which I decided to just get a 'more than basic' understanding of the A320. In my mind, I just wanted to be slightly ahead of the learning curve for when I leave for my training in about 10 days. I've heard type rating on the A320 is like soaking in information from a fire hose

Regarding the instrument scan pattern, do you have any good documentation or videos I can refer to? I can and will google all this, but if I get a verified source from pilots like yourself, I'll know that whatever I'm reading and studying is all bona-fide. Then I can practice a bit on the SIM. Not the flying part of course, since I don't think a home sim could exactly replicate the physics of flying an actual aircraft, just the basic procedures and scan pattern, as you mentioned.

I'm also going through the checklist both as PF and PM. Is it a bad idea? Should I stop?

I haven't been flying since the past 2 years courtesy covid, and I'm pretty sure I'm a bit rusty with IFR haha. I have this opportunity finally. I don't want to mess it up and want to be as prepared as I can. If you have any other advice for me, please let me know.

Thanks!