PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 14th May 2022, 12:36
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is plenty of good and objective facts in this thread.

Of course I would love our son to stay with as and the rest of his family here in France but this is not about me this is about him and I'm not a pilot as I'm certainly not clever enough to pass any of the exams let alone fly a plane! I'm just a dad with a passionate about flying son and within the next 2 years he will make some decisions which will change the rest of his life and with all of our children I want to give him the best advice possible.
To answer this. Regardless where he gets his license he has to be prepared to move. I am from northern Europe but have worked in the US and all over Europe. After almost 8 years on the run I finally landed a good flying job where I wanted to settle down (well, alomst...). Having to move about isn't necessairly a bad thing, it's also an opportunity! That said - and every pilot has their own preferences and experiences - the geogrpahical scarcity of flying jobs can be a major hurdle to happy family life. If your employer goes bust or lay you off, you can't just walk across the street and get a new job. Often you'll be looking at a different continent. I know he's 18 and doesn't think about it that way, but could be good to know.

I am a former flight instructor and now airline pilot, though I have been on the ground for 2+ years thanks to Covid. Just getting back in the air as I have been re-employed by my former company. In the mean time I have been studying software development. My advice is not to rush flight training. Keep the cost down and do modular training. You can set your own pace, even work on the side to pay for it in part. The gamble to set yourself up with a big debt early is risky, most people with some life experience knows that... Many start their flying careers around 30 anyway. Of my old students I had engineers, jurists etc.