PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 13th May 2022, 23:55
TheFrenchConnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldox
The Grobs were pretty low and really quite noisy, not overpoweringly loud but a very deep constant drone. Reminiscent of the films of bomber formations in WW2, y'know all in unison.
I'm more used to them doing aerobatic-type manouvres with associated changes in engine noise.

The EMB was pretty high but sounded quite muted to me.
I always wanted to hear the USAF Prototype THUNDERSCREECH loudest aircraft ever produced ( and the fastest prop ; ) , The XF-84H [ built mid - late 1950's ] , was almost certainly the loudest aircraft ever built, earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as the "Mighty Ear Banger".[size=8333px] [/size]On the ground "run ups", the prototypes could reportedly be heard 25 miles (40 km) away. Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24–30 inches (61–76 cm) of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller travelled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards. TFC.