PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 13th May 2022, 23:53
TheFrenchConnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldox
The Grobs were pretty low and really quite noisy, not overpoweringly loud but a very deep constant drone. Reminiscent of the films of bomber formations in WW2, y'know all in unison.
I'm more used to them doing aerobatic-type manouvres with associated changes in engine noise.

The EMB was pretty high but sounded quite muted to me.
I always wanted to hear the USAF Prototype THUNDERSCREECH loudest aircraft ever produced ( and the fastest prop ; ) , The XF-84H [ built mid - late 1950's ] , was almost certainly the loudest aircraft ever built, earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as the "Mighty Ear Banger".[size=8333px] [/size]On the ground "run ups", the prototypes could reportedly be heard 25 miles (40 km) away.[size=8333px] [/size]Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24–30 inches (61–76 cm) of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller travelled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards.