PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our son wants to be an airline pilot... I have some questions :)
Old 13th May 2022, 19:56
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by T Father
Thank you very much for the feedback & advice, seems that the cost of learning is such a huge part of flying. Have you met many pilots at 21 or 22 years old flying?
Yes, but both had followed the modular route that Genghis spoke of, so they were able to get into the flight deck much more affordably than the integrated route. For the avoidance of doubt, the ones I met were highly competent, highly motivated, and clearly gave absolutely everything to realising their dream. And they had parental support, not just motivational, but very likely financial as well, allowing them to crack on with their training at a rapid rate without financial worries.
Originally Posted by T Father
Seems crazy to think a 18 / 19 year old can sign up to 100K of debt !!!
Thanks again for the reply
Ah! Maybe there's been a misunderstanding... The 18 year olds didn't sign up to any debt! - at least not with any formal lender such as a bank. It was their parents that signed up to it , sometimes with their home as collateral, and they were the ones who were saddled with the debt. Any private arrangements between parent and 18 year old student remained just that - private!

Good luck to both you and your son, I hope he succeeds. Neither you nor he can expect it to be easy, either financially, studying-wise, or emotionally. But rewarding once completed and successfully in the right hand seat of an airliner, hopefully.