PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA757 Near Stall - Recovery Caused Injuries
Old 13th May 2022, 06:04
WideScreen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver99
I think that it took four years to produce this report as bordering on negligence. All FDR/CVR, pilots survived intact and an investigation with something to learn from it couldn't be produced in a few weeks/months?
Looks to me, it was clear WHAT happened, though pretty unclear WHY this happened. As raised, that a 13k hours highly experienced pilot started to garble up and needed to be corrected by a young one. And, I still don't see a clear answer to that.
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver99
And yes we are in a parallel universe where pilots cannot pilot anymore.
Yep. This is not the first time, and it gives me the impression, that 2 things are happening:
A) An overload of regulations/must-do's, with the consequence that things start falling off the table.
B) More and more an emphasis on "regulations and must-do's", with the consequence, that pilots become hesitating to "follow their guts" to solve an issue.

This not so much being a flying industry only issue. It happens everywhere, that people no longer dare to solve an issue, but revert to "not in my playbook, so I don't (or I am not allowed to) do".

An example of what happened some years ago in GA, with a C172, a highly experienced pilot. Flying at 2000ft towards a controlled airport, clouds come in unexpectedly with heavy winds and the aircraft getting "VFR on top". The airport was still visible in perfect VFR weather. So, the best option would have been, stay VFR on top, IE fly higher than the normal height for the VFR route in the controlled airspace to the airport. But, that implies, asking permission, and investigations, and potentially a fine. The pilot decided to descent through IMC to expected VDR weather below the clouds. Unfortunately, the clouds were fog, all the way to the ground and the aircraft did a CFIT (and, explicitly, no Loss of Control). 4 People dead, just because the pilot selected to do what could not be registered as an offense and avoiding getting asked nasty questions, etc.