PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger lands Cessna Caravan in West Palm Beach after pilot incapacitation
Old 12th May 2022, 17:32
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!

Lots more on this story, and if my hired pilot had a probem I would have figured out the radio button and said the same thing, but that I had flown other planes before. Big difference between an innocent SLF and someone who had flown before. Especially the radio R/T.

I always wondered if I could handle a B737 or Bus 320 if asked. Never flew a heavy, but aero is aero, and if I could work the radios I could make a good approach versus just giving up and becoming a smoking hole.

More to this story, IMHO.

Gums sends...
Never had any pilot training, but - as would be expected - after 40 years in the industry, I have a very good understanding of how aircraft fly.
About 20 years ago, I was in one of Boeing's 777 simulators with a training pilot where he was checking on some concerns I'd raised. After we finished up the planned testing, we still had a fair amount of simulator time left. The training pilot asked me if I wanted to have some fun.
He set the sim up for a manual landing at the old Hong Kong airport (which I understand was one of the trickiest major airports in the world for landing). Then he said go for it (purely visual approach). Now, I have a Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering, (at the time) 20+ years practical experience with countless hours on the flight deck during flight testing, and I didn't have to use the radio. I also had a trainer sitting next to me coaching me. But I pretty much nailed the landing. Bottom line is that - provided everything is working - it wasn't that hard (although I was nervous enough that I was sweating pretty good).

It's when the weather goes south and/or things go wrong that pilots earn their money.