PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2022, 14:28
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technically true
Technically true = Actually true (but you wish it was not!).

Aer Lingus UK was a desperate (but why not?) attempt by EI to get their aircraft flying again and in all honesty if they're still flying by next summer once DUB flying rebounds I'd be amazed. They're a stand alone operation as demonstrated by not even being in the same terminal as Aer Lingus, let alone BA.
It's a Virgin spoiler, nothing more and nothing less. If VS were to collapse tomorrow, Aer Lingus UK would be gone by Monday.
Similar points from two different contributors here, so I'll address them together. My own post explained that the EUK operation was IAG's way of ensuring that Virgin Atlantic didn't get a free run in the North. As such, I agree that it would be seen as "job done" if they were to see off Virgin. And in the event of a recession (which seems very likely), a fledgling operation of this sort would be at risk. However, I see no reason for them to be in the same terminal as BA at MAN. BA's services to MAN are from London, and connecting passengers from there are not the target market. Meanwhile, EUK's destinations are served direct from Dublin by EIN, so little need to be co-located with them either. And the new facilities in T2 are far better suited to a long-haul operation than those of T1.

American having SOME presence at MAN. Immediately after the US/AA merger they had four daily flights on MAN-ORD/JFK/PHL/CLT, I don't think they care anymore.
I agree that American Airlines seemed uninterested in MAN for quite some time before their ultimate exit. For years they used their oldest kit, chopped and changed, and cancelled flights at the drop of a hat. I think it dates right back to the introduction of Continental at MAN which really hacked off their management back in the day. Fortunately, they're not the only carrier in the market, and I would expect transatlantic services on core routes to be maintained from MAN by alternative carriers.

United will be flying to Bergen, Palma, Tenerife and Naples this Summer, to name a few
Exactly. And what do those destinations have in common? LEISURE TRAVELLERS. We touched on this when discussing DUB, SNN and EDI earlier. US-domiciled leisure travellers are making bookings and using up vouchers. This backlogged vacation demand is propping things up, because business travel remains pretty cold. Carriers which shunned leisure travellers in the past are courting them now. In some markets, they're the only game in town.

As for your analysis on Aer Lingus UK, I'd say you're being naive.
Then why do you go on to argue that the operation was created as a vehicle to impede Virgin Atlantic, which is exactly what I pointed out in my "naive analysis"?

Do you really need me to explain why the first five of those airlines you've listed have chosen to fly to Manchester?
Please do. I had assumed that they had identified a market opportunity, but perhaps you know differently?