PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 NG Crosswind Landings
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 07:55
have another coffee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The boeing advertised technique of decrabbing during flare works fine with me. As I'm taught this principle from early on and works fine from gliders, cesnna's all the way up to the bigger metal things. A few notes I observed for the 737 series i fly now;
1. A note is made about keeping the power on earlier in this threat. I'm strongly against that as the NG series with flaps 30 is a long floater already if you misjudge (especially the -800 series).
2. Do not be afraid to land it with a little crab, as the landing gear is designed to take a lot of crab (re form boeing after our pilot community started questions about it).
3. Control inputs are much smoother with this technique. People have much more diffilculty in finding a stable decrab control setting early on than during a dynamic manouvre as the flare. And you don't have to get it perfectly right during flare, as long as the aircraft's nose is on it's way to runway heading is enough and will already provide a smooth touchdown. Time is too short to develop drift I noticed (especially true for more heavy epuipment)
4. Notice how much aileron you need during a 35 knot X wind take-off. Thats the amount you need during landing.