PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NI Troubles amnesty plan changes.
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2022, 09:56
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by melmothtw
Absolutely I do, but it was the British government that instituted the amnesty of Republican and Loyalist paramilitaries for the sake of peace. As I've said, British soldiers aren't terrorists, and so should be held to a higher standard.

Thousands of British soldiers/airmen served in Northern Ireland without commiting any crimes. For the few that may have, these need to be investigated.

That's all.

Please continue to comment,

Can I just say one thing, It is nearly 50 years ago since the troubles and while I can understand your ideal that British Servicemen needed to be held to account (BTW you missed Royal Navy off your list of those that served in the province,)

The problem I think you might find will be finding credible witnesses, those involved in say rioting and a civilian getting shot at are probably going to be the very same people that were rioting and against the military presence, hence hostile witnesses while often those for the defence or prosecution have since died. I would also point out any death will have been investigated at the time.

Where does this seem like justice is being served?

A number of the soldiers have repeatedly been investigated and cleared of wrongdoing only to be reinvestigated by new units set up in Northern Ireland to deal with historical cases.
That's more of a witch hunt than justice.

You just have to read this to see the problems faced

https://www.judiciaryni.uk/sites/jud...oldier%20C.pdf

I served in NI BTW to be fair.

Last edited by NutLoose; 12th May 2022 at 14:42.