PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long haul lifehacks
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2022, 06:34
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Really and I mean really listen to the senior crews. Can make your life a whole lot easier not having to reinvent the wheel.
It’s not the men you need to be afraid of it’s the women. Pretty much every continent has their own drugs of choice to incapacitate you and rob you.
Local cops walking the beat may be in on the scams.
So do the touristy things during the day, ask your hotel front desk or concierge if they have any recommendations and if it’s safe to walk.
Anything after sunset bring a wingman unless you’re very familiar with the area.
Leave your big pilot watch and your passport in the hotel.
If it’s cool enough to wear a jacket I usually carry my stripes in an inside pocket.
If I’m ever found unconscious in the street it’s easy for the police to figure out:
  • dude’s not a local
  • he’s flight-crew
  • he’s staying in this hotel (hotel key card)
Hopefully everything goes well from there and company gets contacted and medical costs taken care of etc etc.
Whatsapp is one of the text apps that has a location function. Either send present position or live position for anywhere from 15 min to 8 hrs.
I use it all the time when using ground transportation.
This may sound overly paranoid but you are a target.
Places you go you make more in a day then they do in a month…or a year.
Be polite, be humble and understand you are very privileged in the job you hold.
Learn two phrases for your frequent overnights, hello and thank you.
I can say that in about 8 languages in addition to the two that I speak fluently.
You’ll visits amazing places and meet amazing people and you’ll go to the sewers of this world.