PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2022, 15:55
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eye2eye5. I have always acknowledged that there are issues. Of course - but that is true in almost any large operation. However, I differ with the interpretation of some posters on the extent of these at MAN. Perspective is required. Read what I just wrote upthread ... sixteen recent journeys through MAN and no problems to get excited about. I'm either very lucky indeed or the extent of the problems is overhyped ... my money is on the latter. And certainly, I can't fault the attitude of the security staff I've interacted with in that time. They've been professional and friendly each time.

I am a great admirer of Gil Thompson's legacy. But I suspect that MAN has seen a 100% turnover in security staff since those days. It's a different world. Indeed, I suspect that there has been a 90% turnover of security staff since the emergence of covid. That's the crux of the problem: a large pool of completely new staff who need to obtain their airside security credentials and then learn the job. Those people aren't obnoxious. They're new, positive, and in the early weeks of learning a new job.

But, of course, on forums such as this, there are always one or two posters who bang their fists and demand acknowledgment that MAN is by far the worst airport in the entire world in every respect, and if you don't bow to that narrative then you're "tribally defending" the airport in some unreasonable way. The reality: Manchester Airport is pretty average. Not the best, not the worst (by far). Instantly forgotten for the majority of frequent travellers. In 99.9% of cases, it will do the job you need it to do. Get you from kerbside to aircraft or vice-versa with an adequate experience within a budget cost (for those who don't wish to pay extra for business lounges etc.).