PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inquiry on captain/FO combination
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2022, 15:11
Saputnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inquiry on captain/FO combination

Hello; I'd appreciate if someone can provide info on a topic of crew "combination", so to say; I searched around but did not find the answer; I'm not sure if this is proper subforum, but it says "about ... airline business", so I hope it is...

So, I know it is common practice to combine older captain with younger FO, for newcomer FO to learn from seasoned superior. However, I would like to know if there is a practice to combine younger captain with older FO?

From my layman point of view, reason is the same, gaining experience. Let's say that young FO gained substantial knowledge and experience; but since he is quite new in left seat position, it would be logical to assign older captain to be FO, so he/she can monitor young captain, how does he perform in that new role. He might know all the tricks, but it still makes difference when he does not have anyone above to make the final decision, when he is in final command of the plane.

Can anyone point me towards any document, report, study, whatever serious document that recommends such a practice?

Thanks in advance!