PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NI Troubles amnesty plan changes.
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2022, 11:40
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by melmothtw
I see your point Helpful Stacker, but I suppose the counter to that is that there was no equivalence between all the parties. If you believe that one side was the force of law and order and the other was terrorists, then surely the former should be held to a higher standard.

Personally, I'm uneasy with the notion of ending investigations and prosecutions of former British soldiers simply by virtue of them being former British soldiers. If crimes were committed, they need to be dealt with.
But there are many crimes that were committed during The Troubles that will never be "dealt with" by virtue of the amnesty granted to the suspects.

Yes members of the security services should and must be held to a different standard than terrorists but this shouldn't mean that they should face continued harassment from various legal teams whilst 'the other side' enjoy their retirement.

Justice is supposed to be blind but the terms of the GWA have fixed it's eyes in only one direction.

Either everyone is investigated or none are. The wounds of the conflict will never heal as long as one side continues to pick at them.