PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2022, 01:01
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the start of March, I have travelled through MAN as SLF sixteen times. Eight departures, eight arrivals. Six of the eight departures were first wave (T1, T2), two around midday or early afternoon (T3). On those departures, I experienced a maximum security queueing time of around twenty minutes, and on two occasions there was no discernable queue at all. On two of the eight inbound services, I did encounter delays at UK Border of approximately 30 minutes and 20 minutes respectively. The first of these (30 minutes - T1) was caused by the sequential arrival of several EasyJet and Ryanair flights within a short space of time. However, those two carriers no longer arrive at the same terminal, so the issue is at least partially resolved. The other wait of 20 minutes - also in T1 - was again down to the arrival of several flights in a short space of time. But on both of these occasions, the queue kept moving at a slow walking pace. On the other six occasions, I was pretty much straight through. I've seen alot worse elsewhere, including at destination on a couple of these trips.

Of course, we are all aware that there have been occasions when queues at MAN have built up to an unreasonable degree. But this is not the norm. It makes the media because it is exceptional ... and they certainly make sure to take full advantage of hyping up every occurrence, giving the impression that such delays are far more common than they are in reality. On another forum, I've noted people discussing the crowds in the terminal airside which are overwhelming the catering franchises. This is because passengers are heeding advice to arrive three hours before their flight, but are actually finding themselves through all check-in and security formalities inside thirty minutes. At least airside retailers and caterers are finally experiencing some joy. However, it is also important to keep in mind that this situation is not unique to Manchester. The 'three hours before' advice is pretty much generic at larger European airports, and no larger airport has been immune from instances of security queues backing up.

Forums like this always attract one or two characters who like to vent that [insert name of airport] is the worst in the world, worst they've ever used etc. Well then, they can't have used many if they speak of MAN in that way. I've travelled through 464 airports worldwide, and frankly - for most passengers - MAN would be quickly forgotten as a very average experience. It isn't in the top tier, but it is far removed from the really poor offerings as well.

If you're booked to fly out of MAN, don't fret or panic. Just allow a little extra time and chill. You'll be very unlucky to encounter the kind of queue which results in a missed flight unless YOU turn up at the last minute expecting to get away with cutting it fine. And remember this: some of those characters who trawl these threads spreading poison about the MAN passenger experience can be found in a cheerleading role on Liverpool Airport forums. Funny that. Maybe they post with an agenda which doesn't include the best interests of an unsuspecting reader on here?