PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA757 Near Stall - Recovery Caused Injuries
Old 10th May 2022, 22:23
Uplinker

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 733driver
It's just too easy to be a keyboard warrior. Thousands and thousands of safe flights everyday so I don't think it's appropriate to deduce from isolated incidents that pilots these days don't know how to scan and fly. Lessons to be learned for sure but no need to dramatize and generalize, I think.
Well, let's see. Off the top of my head there has been, in recent years :

A crew who also did not watch their airspeed and crashed short of the runway at SFO.
A crew who forgot to select go-around thrust when attempting to go around.
A crew who almost forgot to take off.
A crew who did take off but without any airspeed readout because the pitot covers were left on.
A crew who took off with both engine cowl flaps undone.
A crew who attempted an approach while so hot and high they forgot to lower the gear, scraped and damaged both engines along the runway, somehow got airborne again, only to crash.
A crew who after landing in a crosswind used the yoke like a car steering wheel to try to stay on the centre line, instead of the rudder, and went off the side of the runway.
A crew who landed so deep and in a tailwind, they went off the end of the runway.
A pilot who held full back-stick at cruising altitude, fatally stalling the aircraft.
A pilot who broke off the fin by incorrect use of the rudder during turbulence

Were these not all very basic piloting errors ? Seems like a parallel universe to me !

PS, Am a 'joe average' qualified long haul and short haul pilot, not an armchair amateur