PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Low level
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 06:07
nimrodnosewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pontius N:-

are you splitting hairs?! Napalm has now become a generic term for LPJ but it must have had some form of composition to prevent it burning itself out until it had attached to the oil and set fire to it. The original WWII compound was a mixture of of naphthene and palmitate (hence na-palm), also known as napthenic and palmitic acids, with gasoline which produced a brownish sticky syrup that burned more slowly than raw gasoline, and hence was much more effective at igniting one's target. It was, however, highly inflammable so a refinement was "napalm-B", super-napalm, or NP2. It uses no napalm at all. Instead, polystyrene and benzene are used as a solvent to solidify the gasoline. Thus, my contention is that the forces in 1967 must have used some form of a napalm type compound, though I'll defer to your authority if it's a good one.

As to the bombing accuracy, my reading led me to my comment at the end of the post. If the diver's are worried about UXBs then is it possible more hit but didn't activate?

PN, Ooops!! Having just posted the above I went in to the increasingly fascinating Vulcan thread. I note your comments to John Farley ref bombing accuracy in Cyprus and bow to your knowledge & experience.