PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard again
Thread: Vuichard again
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2022, 19:18
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Crab, please leave the brick walls alone, they haven't done anything to you.
Just to make one thing clear, the NTSB does accident investigations, the FAA doesn't. Since I tried to find those thousands of VRS accidents, I can claim, that the NTSB knows the difference between VRS and running out of power. They used the term SWP "correctly" only for VRS accidents. There are apparently only 3 in the NTSB database, since 2000 to 2015. When somebody runs out of power, it is stated as such. Just not as SWP. And there are many. About 30% of the accidents have not enough power as a factor. The whole world talks about VRS, only the US have the SWP confusion. The FAA decided correctly to not use the term SWP anymore. They fixed an old thing that started in the Navy. I don't see any reason to keep SWP as a term. It would cause just more confusion in the future, therefore SWP has to go and should under no circumstances used for something else.
I don't think that any accident investigation agency uses the term SWP for running out of power. Today, old US-pilots think in terms of VRS, when they hear SWP, younger ones talk more often about VRS, not all though, because the old still teach SWP. To change the use of the term, is much more difficult and confusing, than just dropping it. Let it die in peace.