PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard again
Thread: Vuichard again
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2022, 13:39
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
No because that's not where settling with power generally causes crashes.

When you have barely enough power to achieve and maintain a steady OGE hover and then try to make very steep approaches into confined areas - for example - then you try to arrest the rate of descent, reach your maximum power available and keep going down with the RRPM decreasing (overpitching) - THAT is settling with power

Or manoeuvring in and around an OGE hover, losing ETL due to wind change or using excessive power pedal to counter crosswind for example - any scenario where you run out of power and keep pulling to try and stop the descent, drooping the Nr and hitting the ground - THAT is settling with power.

The main difference between VRS and SWP is that VRS is an aerodynamic condition whilst SWP is a performance (or lack of it) condition - the result is often the same but the cause is different.

If the FAA can't understand that then something is wrong with their system.
I have never understood why you insist on calling situations where you "run out of power" (like overpitching and being too heavy to HOGE without a headwind) Settling "with" Power? So, I'm guessing THAT'S why the FAA isn't adopting YOUR use of the term, because it doesn't make sense to them either.

Nor do I understand why YOU have to be right and THEY have to be wrong. Just like how Canada put it in their texbook that we are wrong. Such arrogance! Its just a frickin' term. Why are you so attached to it?