PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways-2
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2022, 16:59
LBAflyer22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
LBA I am not advocating for NO recruitment period and neither do I think we will be back in lockdown however simple economics certain recession and spent vouchers will mean a pretty lean winter and indeed likely 2023, so massive recruitment is far from a good idea , it’s call management and sweating of recourses and an important business tool especially for a company recording huge losses !
The thing is they need to recruit more permanent staff otherwise they end up cancelling flights as the resource isn't there to crew the flights. Remember, especially when it comes to crew/flight deck, the number should/probably does include plenty of sickness and leaving. There is simple facts. They have cut harsh and harder then required without taking into account the furlough scheme (government failure). They now have the rebound of travel going on without the resource required. You cannot and will not attract people to work for the national airline/BA and move to London without offering permanent contract as your competitors will win - Virgin. BA know this and therefore it's the right thing to do.

I bet they've even taken into consideration a pessimistic scenario and worked out they need to recruit and permanent. BA do not suffer as much seasonality as other airlines so it's not like you can work the crew harder in Summer and let them take it easy in winter. BA need those numbers more or less year round.