PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirMethods/Skyryse Partner on automation hardware
Old 7th May 2022, 02:30
lelebebbel

Location: I am not sure where we are, but at least it is getting dark
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I think this release deserves far more attention here than it is getting. Maybe linking a video showing the system in action in an R44 can serve as a "TL,DR" as to what they are actually talking about. And what they are talking about is apparently a fully hover/takeoff/cruise/land capable autopilot system, that totally replaces the conventional flight controls, can be retrofitted into any (?) helicopter or plane, and that is controlled by swiping some arrows on a couple of iPads.

Obvious scepticism aside, the fact that Air Methods has apparently decided to install these systems in their fleet tells me that this is a little beyond the "silicon valley pipe dreams" stage, and that they must have some fairly convincing arguments regarding safety and potential benefits to their operation. The press release and website raises more questions than answers as to what this system can do, what it is good for, and when/how it would be used.

With near zero information other than this, I think I'll have to wait until an insider chimes in before forming an opinion one way or the other.