PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit the Enabler? Forgive my ignorance ..
Old 6th May 2022, 13:24
olster

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, that is half of the U.K. electorate defined as stupid and / or selfish. Don’t ya just love the Internet? The fact remains that the legislation surrounding pilot licensing is archaic and confused. As I have already stated the licences should in reality be interchangeable for the qualification. For example, I spent 2 years on loan to a start up in Dubai as a B737 captain and trainer. During that time I flew with furloughed United pilots, Qantas, just about every European as well as a good proportion of Asia. All of us were granted a GCAA licence based on our current licence with the caveat of an air law exam. Fair enough. There was no difference in our collective technical capabilities other than the normal variation. Although I really take my hat off to those who fly when English is not the native language, my schoolboy French does not cut it. My main point ref Brexit is that there is no need for the U.K. to divorce from EASA. U.K. licences are identical in content and should be interchangeable in both directions. The resultant is down to bureaucratic spite and incompetence regardless of whether you think Brexit is a bad idea or not. There are pros and cons on both sides of the Brexit argument but that is done, move on. Regardless, the pilot community in U.K. and Europe have been let down.