PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unfriendliest airport for GA in Australia?
Old 6th May 2022, 09:53
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
An aerodrome is a very valuable community asset because it provides very useful capabilities for the local community. Fund and nurture it on that basis
They do. That's why it's still there.
Maybe the pilot will one day fly an aircraft that puts out a local fire that was threatening your home, fertilises the crops on your farm, transports you or one of your loved ones to life saving medical treatment or deters and defeats people who’d like to invade and kill you. Or maybe the pilot did that in a previous life
And thus has never had to pay a landing fee himself. The invoices got sent to the boss. Who paid them.
And if the occasional private aircraft pilot and friends pulls in and visits the town
but is actually far more likely just to refuel and leave.
and now just wants to enjoy flying
But that involves infrastructure that someone else has to provide and maintain. If I want to enjoy golf, I have to pay to use the golf course. If I want to enjoy car racing, I have to pay to use the track. But of course, flying should be free. Why? What makes your hobby so special compared to all the others people enjoy?