PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2022, 16:05
Lonewolf_50

Received 461 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninthace
Russia pulled out of Afghanistan when their losses reached 10,000. Now they are well over that, possibly double and to coin a phrase, you ain't seen nothing yet.
USSR leaving Afghanistan was a different sort of political and cultural thing than 'restoring Russian lands/borders/people to Russia.' The Russians might be willing to pay a higher price to 'get some of their land back into Russia' which looks to be a discrete and well supported (by the Russian political rhetoric, I mean) war aim.
From a Ukrainian perspective the war is winnable, from a Russian perspective, you cannot get there from here.
Depends on what victory conditions are. Keeping, or getting back, Mariupol would seem to me to be a Ukraine victory condition. Land bridge to Crimea and annex parts of Eastern Ukraine seems to be a Russian victory condition...but I am estimating here. There may be lesser included cases inside Russian or Ukrainian policy circles that don't look anything like that.
Originally Posted by admikar
All I am asking here is, can West be the one pointing the finger considering their moral blunders over the years?
Short answer: yes. Welcome to the world of politics, which is the parent of war.