PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit the Enabler? Forgive my ignorance ..
Old 5th May 2022, 14:34
SpamCanDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
Give me a wider job market any day of the week. What we have in the UK right now is depressing. As for the language, my point was despite language requirements, British pilots did find jobs because many did speak other languages, it was not a barrier in many cases, but those opportunities are now gone. I'm not going to start listing airlines and various other ops that did not require you to speak local languages anyway, there were and still are many. Every other day i have a look and see other opportunities on the continent with English ICAO 5 as the only language requirement.

FlyingStone raises a good point. Many people complained BA for example were open to EU pilots but their national carriers effectively closed to us, but BA require ICAO 6; something very few EU pilots actually have except for the Irish.
As I said, depends on your priorities
You prefer a wider job market, some like myself want to fly in the UK

Good for some people, bad for others

I never said British pilots didn't find employment in the EU, we did in fairly large numbers. But Language requirements did also bar us from quite a few jobs, not just legacy flag carrier jobs.

I fly everyday with plenty of EU pilots who have level 6 English & well done to them, can only speak for the sandpit nowadays but its not that rare here

The number of EU pilots @ BA compared to the number of Brits @ other EU flag carriers speak for themselves.
And as I said above anyone who is a non native speaker who passed those verbal reasoning tests absolutely earned that job & fair play to them for a seriously impressive achievement.
I'm just saying if you're a Brit who wants to fly for BA etc, now you will have less competition for that role.