PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit the Enabler? Forgive my ignorance ..
Old 5th May 2022, 13:34
A320LGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpamCanDriver
As I said it depends on your circumstances, if you had a different type rating etc..
It's not a bed of roses in the EU either, I fly in the Sandpit currently so fly with lot's of EU citizens trying hard to get jobs in the EU.
No the language thing wasn't just a national carrier thing & when did I say all Brits only spoke one language?

The total amount of Jobs British pilots can apply for have has most definitely decreased, but so has the number of pilots applying for those jobs
Give me a wider job market any day of the week. What we have in the UK right now is depressing. As for the language, my point was despite language requirements, British pilots did find jobs because many did speak other languages, it was not a barrier in many cases, but those opportunities are now gone. I'm not going to start listing airlines and various other ops that did not require you to speak local languages anyway, there were and still are many. Every other day i have a look and see other opportunities on the continent with English ICAO 5 as the only language requirement.

FlyingStone raises a good point. Many people complained BA for example were open to EU pilots but their national carriers effectively closed to us, but BA require ICAO 6; something very few EU pilots actually have except for the Irish.