PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit the Enabler? Forgive my ignorance ..
Old 5th May 2022, 11:29
SpamCanDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW
How many actual jobs in the UK can you count right now? Cos I'm having a very hard time even trying to use up the fingers on one hand. The language thing in Europe was a thing, but only really for national carriers or their associated subsidiaries. There is a whole world of other operations that had no such language requirements. And who said none of us can speak any other language so let's just shut the door? I happen to speak French and I think you'll find other pilots do quite well with other languages too.

Do you really think there are enough UK jobs for the amount of British pilots? There is a major disconnect in the amount of jobs v pilots. Yes it's the case in Europe too, but time showed British pilots did very well in securing jobs in Europe with many airlines, all those opportunities now gone. I am rated on a type which only has 2 active UK operators, the vast majority of them are in Europe. Perhaps I'm receiving the brunt of it. I've no idea what UK opportunities exist for anyone coming out of flight school at present or in the near future.
As I said it depends on your circumstances, if you had a different type rating etc..
It's not a bed of roses in the EU either, I fly in the Sandpit currently so fly with lot's of EU citizens trying hard to get jobs in the EU.
No the language thing wasn't just a national carrier thing & when did I say all Brits only spoke one language?

The total amount of Jobs British pilots can apply for have has most definitely decreased, but so has the number of pilots applying for those jobs

Swings & Roundabouts

I sincerely wish you the best of luck finding a job, god knows we've all been there!