PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - December Gen Nav
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 00:56
Dah Dah...Dit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my experience, I've found that there are 2 ways of teaching PPL training in the U.K. The 1st type is purely for people who want to fly for fun. This involves a more simplified approach to training but obviously still teaches the proper syllabus. The 2nd type is geared more towards the aspiring professional pilot. By this I mean, if you're going to learn how to fly a plane, then you might as well learn to commercial standards. Same goes for commercial navigation techniques.

Overall though, I have to agree with the philosophy that the structure of the JAA PPL is by far superior to the FAA method, especially in terms of Navigational techniques.

Now I've been in Florida now for some months studying for my ATPL's but have occasionally found the time to fly with a few fellow Brits trained 'The American Way'. My point is this : While general handling + procedures are very good (although it's checklist overkill), general nav. is a disgrace. They just fly from point to point, slap on a couple of 6min markers, + off they go - knowing nothing of Closing angle techniques/ inverse fraction rules etc. which was drummed into me from day 1!

I'd also like to agree with Alex on the Trevor Thoms PPL books. Granted it's a bit indepth for the average recreational flyer and I think maybe contains a bit too much information required for the written exams, but for those wishing to pursue this as a career (ATPL's), these are an invaluable set of books!