PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the Kobe Bryant Crash
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2022, 18:52
JimEli

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by roscoe1
I agree that the system failed to provide a safe trip for the passengers but all the system failures did was inhibit the pilot from making a choice that would have resulted in a less memorable outcome. It's like asking why putting up a big poster that says "BE CAREFUL" doesn't ensure people will ( be careful). The system is not a root cause, it only provides a minimum framework for exercising good judgement. He always could have said that it would be best to go by ground this morning, or sorry folks, we need to land right now to be safe, I'll get a cab for you and so on. He could have made those choices despite anything the system didn't provide. Plus, he broke rules that were in the system already. I feel the system could just as likley been successful if he had been willing to risk some passenger disappointment or unjustified irritation of his boss. Who knows, maybe his boss would have said " good call, I like to see that". The crystal that remains in the beaker when everything else boils away is thar poor soul didn't see it coming. A system of training, rules and regulations and aircraft capabilities helps for sure, but it will not prevent this sort of accident.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a cabinet maker who had one of those qick-stop devices on his table saw that slammed on a blade brake and retracted the blade in milliseconds if it sensed conductivity with a finger. They really do work but they always demonstrate them with a hotdog ( or a banger depending on where you live). I asked why they didn't have marketing videos with real fingers on real people. His answer was " why that would be foolish, it might not work". The system is there but there is no substitute for sound judgement.
Spoken like someone who has never exceeded a speed limit.