PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The death of the KAL contract
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2022, 00:25
Soulless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less Hair (I hear ya!),

You’re correct and that’s much to the point I’m trying to get at. KAL can barely cover their schedule as it stands, yet they want to active dozens of widebodies in the next couple of months? How about planning and training. Guys and gals are already bouncing off max yearly hours. New upgrades take many months at KAL and the remainder of the expats have mostly moved on. The numbers were getting to up over 450 and now will likely settle around 200+/-.

The expats just don’t trust KAL anymore. Why would you when you’re discarded without pay for months or years on end? It was always a money vs schedule/lifestyle balance, that has seriously tipped against KAL. They don’t know it yet, because as I mentioned above, it’s a reactionary vs proactive culture here. Change will occur once the pain is felt and it can’t be hidden from the top man. That will be cancelled flights and/or schedules that are readjusted to paper over the reality of the situation, enabling it to be hidden.

I’m sorry, I’m just not bullish for companies like this. Now is a time to be smart, be able to pivot quickly and get ready for changes. They’ve prepared for the exact opposite. I believe they’ll suffer, especially as belly cargo resumes to some degree and prices come down for cargo. This will separate the wheat from the chaff.