PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The death of the KAL contract
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2022, 00:13
Soulless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Franky,

I get where you’re coming from as the pilot shortage has been discussed over the last decades, ad nauseam. Emotionally I’m burned out with the thought of it ever being.

But right now the numbers don’t lie. Within the recovering/recovered markets in North America, there are numerous issues the regionals, cargo and secondary tier carriers are facing. I don’t think I need to post links to the dozens of companies that are suffering issues. And it goes all the way up the food chain to Alaska Airlines, Spirit, Swoop, Flair, Breeze, Atlas, etc, etc, not the great jobs the majors are, but jobs that are now at a liveable wage and rapidly improving (at least in the USA). I feel Canada will have to react. So Will Asia and the Middle East. They won’t be able to attract the talent they once did as people are less likely to put up with the punishment culture unless there’s a reward. That’ll be money, as I don’t think they can change that culture. That ship has sailed.

KAL has backed themselves into a corner, caused my the worst human emotions - greed and false pride. It’s not going to be a good transition back to an open world. I hope they saved all those dollars they made, because their profits are about to be hit by terrible planning, which is a cancer within KAL. Why be proactive when you can be reactive???

Time will tell, lots of variables, the most worrying is the global economy in the coming months and years. That could save their ass on pilots but kill them financially for a period of time.