PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SpiceJet 737-800 Severe Turbulence 2022/05/01
Old 3rd May 2022, 22:21
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a serious incident and certainly after a crash, among the first items collected by investigators are all crew electronic devices.

Before phones, I recall on downwind & approach on which the other two crew members were comparing notes on kite-skiing on the wind-swept body of water 8000ft below. I told the PM to request a visual and we received the clearance. I disconnected everything, and the cockpit went dead quiet as the old guy hand-flew. Remark from the PM on taxi-in was, "I've never seen that done before...". I said, "I know; its time for you guys to pay attention inside".

Is there anyone out there still who offers this kind of teaching anymore? I was damn difficult to get anyone to actually fly the airplane twenty years ago. I can't image what it's like now. I'm told that texting while driving is like driving drunk. I've been 100% against cockpit video for all the reasons we know but sometimes I'm only 95% against...