PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook low flyby vid doing the rounds on Facebook......
Old 3rd May 2022, 17:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless

Lots have been said about the "Positive Stick Gradient" requirement imposed by the Army and FAA (the S-76 was labored with similar problems) but in real life use....most Pilots cannot identify when that system is working or not unless they see a Instrument Indication to that effect.
I’m afraid I don’t understand this?

Nobody can be in any doubt whatsoever whether they have a positive (or negative) stick gradient. Absolutely no “Instrument Indication” required. (Or available?)

Unless we are talking about two very different things?

Here:

In my time the Speed Trim system (being called DASH) by some here.....consisted of electrical servos that would controlled by air pressure created through the Pitot Static system with the changes in airspeed.

The system was switched ON by Checklist....and once turned own did its own thing....with Cockpit Instrument Panel Indicators (one for each Rotor Head) showing the position of the Servos. In the event of a failure of the automatic system there was a Manual Option that required constant input by the Crew and also provide a means to manually retract the Speed Trim Servos before Landing.
You are clearly conflating DASH with the LCTs. Two very different systems.

You also spoke about “A Models with the fixed landing gear”. I never flew the A model, but I was unaware there was any significant difference in the gear between the various models?

Last edited by 4468; 3rd May 2022 at 17:21.