PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the Kobe Bryant Crash
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2022, 02:57
Winemaker

Received 213 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Of what value is a fully instrumented, autopilot equipped twin engined helicopter if you do not use all of the attributes of the aircraft and do so on every flight.

That S-76 was fully capable of flying itself with commands from the Pilot.

Proper Airmanship by the Pilot would have prevented what happened.....but proper oversight by company management, the company's insurance company, the third party training company, and the FAA also should have prevented the accident from happening.

That the Pilot was the Chief Pilot of the Operation, yet violated Company SOP's, clearly shows the breakdown in the procedures and structures that showed on paper proper safety and training standards were in place.

As I have said earlier....the Pilot had lots of help in arriving in that smoking hole in the ground.
Interesting analysis. I do a lot of solo mountaineering stuff and always have a turn back time that I never violate, even if the summit is 250 feet above. It just isn't worth it. If there is lightning activity I just bail....... I would think pilots might have the same sort of personal constraints. Live to climb another day.