PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing down in Cotonou (merged)
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2003, 21:35
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate to get on my 'West Africa hobby horse' again but overloading is just another example of the many and varied ways they'll try to kill you down there.

I once had to operate a 'round the houses' domestic 737 duty in Lagos. Due to fuel being unavailable at one of the down route ports of call we had to carry through fuel. This meant we were right up to max RTOW out of Lagos. We informed the so called 'load controller' that we couldn't take the regular newspaper load on this run.

Later while sitting in the cockpit we were amazed to see the three tons of newspapers being driven out to the aircraft. I opened my window and told the ****** in no uncertain terms to clear off with his newspapers. He drove away reluctantly.

Later, when I did the walkaround at the first outstation, what do I see being off-loaded from the aircraft? You got it...the goddamn three tons of newspapers! The bastards had just driven them round the back where we couldn't see 'em and put them in the hold!

We were at least three tons overweight on take-off in 35deg temperatures!

Every time I rotated an aircraft in Lagos I'd wonder if we were going flying....or farming today.