PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mount Disappointment helicopter crash 31/3/2022
Old 29th Apr 2022, 07:07
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not just following the magenta line that's the issue, it's the lack of having to even study a route in any detail prior to launching that bites people in the arse, combined with knowing that you don't have to actually navigate by time / distance / heading methods and get regular pinpoints to check your planning (or read the terrain and track crawl at lower levels).

I ferried a machine from Brisbane to Cairns a few years back and had the route planned on WACs all the way, with reference to ERC for airspace. The bloke who came with me had his iPad with OzRunways, happy to just follow the line, and while I was impressed with the capabilities of the electronic gear, simply being able to drag out the map and identify features enroute was so much better for awareness, I found.

The bottom line, I suppose, is that flying schools need to be teaching pilots to take advantage of electronics but have the common dog to be able to build and keep a good mental picture as well, and be able to quickly do an inflight replan taking into account distance, time, fuel, terrain, airspace and last light when the iPad stops working. Nobody should be able to get any licence bar perhaps an RPL unless they can do that.