PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby T21b WB935
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2022, 18:20
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Colour Schemes & Brab.

The ATC followed the 'Training' finish of the times. When I joined (1960) the gliders were silver with yellow bands, and were plastic self ad 'Dayglo'ed' by MGSP when the RAF went that way. It just so happened that the MGSP used to 'bin' loads of repair junk (inc safety harnesses that went from brown webbing sutton type) to turn box blue as per Chipmunks etc and off cuts of dayglo, and this ended up on the Kenley dump. This spawned a whole range of bumper motives including rather smart 2-3 gull motive as used for the enamel badges that the BGA supplied for your A&B or C Cert in the days when you did three solos and had the BGA badge on your uniform. The Dayglo was a sensible alternative for the yellow as it could not be missed, although the machines looked better with the yellow. When machines later went away for a major they came back with a doped red white finish (awful in my mind). The only good thing was the 'system' stayed the same with 3 solo's and a BGA Cert with a nice little book that you could present to someone and point out the message that requested that the holder of such a book would be grateful for any help that could be available if he had landed away from a normal airfield. I think mine was signed by Lord Brabazon of Tara !!!!. The discarded harness system went in my Beetle long before seat belts were required. The 'Dayglo' was always a plastic film as no dope at that time could give the same awareness factor of Dayglo.