PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toddlers Flying
Thread: Toddlers Flying
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2022, 07:52
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rotorfun
... I'll make some assumptions... it doesn't much matter how accurate the couple [sic] assumptions are...

The fatal car accident rate is about 40,000 deaths per 100,000,000 miles driven.
  • This means there are about 40,000 deaths for every 2,500,000 hours driven, or 1,600 deaths per 100,000 hours driven.
I fully agree with Petit-Lion above. When trying to convince one's self of something which really doesn't stand up to scrutiny, almost any presentation of fictitious statistics can appear tempting to try to support a badly flawed hypothesis.

With such a laughable claimed car fatality rate of one death for every every 2,500 miles or 62 hours of driving, most drivers would barely last a month or two at that rate. Was there really no simple checking done before posting such ridiculous figures, trying to prop up an opinion which can at best only be described as highly suspect? The true figures are most likely to show the complete opposite of what was being claimed.

If indeed rotorfun's driving is so dangerous that they fit that statistic, then they have hit the nail on the head with the stand-out conclusion:
Originally Posted by rotorfun
The most dangerous part about me taking my daughter flying is the fact that I have to drive her to the airport first.
Let's hope for everyone's sake that their flying is better than their driving or their use of statistics!