PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mount Disappointment helicopter crash 31/3/2022
Old 28th Apr 2022, 03:17
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
There is little talk of cloud. The cameras at the Kilmore gap will tell a significant story if they store historical images. The cloud at Romsey around 40kms to the west was as good as on the ground and that is at 1,000ft. Mt Disappointment elevation is 2,640ft. The windsock at Romsey appears to be showing a NW breeze.
Is using the Kilmore Gap AWS phone number common these days, or has it been 'lost' to the wonders of the Internet? 03 5783 2296 was almost a mandatory check call when planning north in all but the best weather days.

Some years back with the advent of the iPad and the 'Children of the Magenta Line' I had an enlightening experience with a pilot I was checking: when I took away his iPad he was totally and utterly lost, not even being able to identify Mansfield which was <5nm from us at the time. He was locked on to the Magenta Line and didn't have any sort of paper chart nor map to back up his flight.

Sign of the times