PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2022, 22:30
tdracer

Received 184 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
He knows he’s losing big time, same with Laugharov, it all smacks of desperation. The only country interfering in Ukraine is Russia.
I've been reading Victor Davis Hanson's excellent "THE SECOND WORLD WARS HOW THE FIRST GLOBAL CONFLICT WAS FOUGHT AND WON" on my Kindle. This passage struck me as being particularly relevant to the current situation in Russia:

The age-old problem with dictatorships, aside from the limited input from advisors and experts, was that the public would always tacitly and implicitly withdraw its support as news from the front grew ominous. Even - or rather especially - under autocracies, the people never felt accountable for their prior ecstatic allegiance to dangerous strongmen. They are never on record as formally approving risky national policies through free and transparent elections of such extremists in the first place.
Putin can't keep the nasty truth of how badly things are going from the public indefinitely - eventually the populace is going to notice that tens of thousands of their children are not coming home - even if the families are never notified of their deaths. The Russian people are not going to put up with that indefinitely, regardless of what lies come out of the Kremlin.