PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Math Bridging Course
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2022, 13:57
nonsense

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RENURPP
Is anyone able to offer some guidance on the maths bridging courses. Preferably Melbourne based please.
I returned to uni (Swinburne) in 1991 to do an engineering degree at 27yo. I hadn't done any serious maths since taking two tries to pass first year maths (and yet a distinction for physics on my first attempt) in a science degree at Monash (Clayton) in the early 1980s.
Before the university year started in the last week of February 1991, I did a two week maths bridging course at what is now Monash Caulfield. It was 4 hours of class each morning for ten days and basically covered year 12 pure and applied maths.
It was intended for several audiences; students going into first year of maths heavy courses who only had general maths at year 12, students repeating first year maths, as a condition of re-enrollment, older students like me who simply hadn't done any maths for a few years, and a handful of older adults who'd never done maths at year 12 level and were interested for personal reasons.

It was without a doubt a great start to my engineering degree and made a big difference; I did vastly better than I had in my BSc at Monash, emerging with an honours degree five years later.

I would expect 30+ years later that you're likely to find such courses at universities, just before the start of the academic year (eg: 8 weeks ago!) and possibly at mid year during the winter break. I'd try contacting the maths departments of local universities; if they're not running similar courses, they're likely to know who does run them.

I think the CAEs used to do something similar, but I found only this, which is intended to bring people up to speed to start VCE (year 12 level) maths, not uni level:
https://www.cae.edu.au/courses/prepa...hods-vocmm-sc/

A single subject adult VCE program starting midyear might be a possibility too?