PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAC without alcohol consumption
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2003, 16:26
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He sought scientific advice and to cut a long story short found that the body does indeed produce natural alcohol. This was presented to an industrial tribunal and the manager was re-instated
I have no reason to believe that any of this is not true.

But being reinstated by an industrial tribunal is not necessary the same as being able to prove something scientifically.

I have been trawling through the net about this and can not find anything substantial which would support this point of view.

My skepticism tells me that if this was a viable defense, thousands a year would use it to avoid convictions for drink driving offenses. After all the only thing your barrister would have to do is quote the scientific evidence (as presented to the industrial tribunal) and away you go.

I recently attended an AME seminar organised by the FAA and we discussed 'false positive' tests for Marijuana derivatives after eating 'food supplements', nobody mentioned the same for alcohol.

DUIs are a very hot topic for the police and the FAA, and I again am pretty sure that if this 'endogenous alcohol' was an issue that there would be more interest in it both from the enforcement side and defence lawyers over there.

Happy to look at any articles to be convinced otherwise, but for now remain sceptically.

FD