PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Concern: Am I too old?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2003, 12:43
Ascend Charlie

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts
Will the REAL PPrune Fan please stand up? Is somebody else using his tag?

I ask this because i wish to applaud the above post, for being as coldly factual as it is possible to be. No false hope, no rosy glasses, that's the way it generally is.

I don't get much chance to agree with PPF1, but in the last couple of months, you have changed your posting style into a very entertaining read. Well done. Merry late Xmas, and a carton of beer.

For Mr Go-Getter, go getta good-paying job to provide the money so you can fly for pleasure - helicopter flying is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. But it is a mongrel to get a start in.

An employer (and I have been one) looks for somebody who will work hard to fill a position, and over the years, it seems to me that it has been the young ones who have the ability to apply themselves, whereas the older fellas have a little less drive. perhaps it is because they already have a wife and 2.3 kids and a mortgage and a permanent address.

But I am not talking about getting junior pilots to be virtual slaves, I am talking about learning the other aspects of a charter business, which involve telephone sales techniques, having people skills to deal with difficult pax, economic sense for quoting jobs, coping with being based away from home while on tasks, and learning to fly new types of helos.

If you decide to go for it, then as PPF1 says, go for it full time, or your determination might just get eaten away a bit further down the road.